I am a mom of 4. I love to cook and try new recipes.
Every once in awhile a new recipe is tried and the family often responds with "mom..it's a keeper" meaning add this one to the family recipe book. So here I've compiled them all in one spot so they're easy to get to and add to. Hope you enjoy them as much as we have, and maybe they'll be keepers for you as well.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Apple Pumpkin Crisp

Autumn has officially begun!  One of my very favorite times of the year.  I have been filling my home with scents of autumn all week using this recipe.

We are now in day 12 of our Paleo eating lifestyle and I've got to say I have never felt better. But today it hit me pretty hard that I really needed something with lots of Fall pumpkin flavor and a little bit of sweetness.  I had just bought 50# of farm fresh assorted apples, which are so very juicy and sweet.  So I knew I had to come up with something using a few of these, and I just bought a case of organic pumpkin puree from Costco.  Hrm..pumpkins and apples, those are definitely fall flavors!

It turned out to be a BIG hit my family and extended family members couldn't get enough.

4 thinly sliced and peeled apples (I used granny smith and used my apple peeler/corer/slicer to slice them.
3/4 C.  Coconut flour or any gluten flour mix (almond flour would work too)
1 1/2 C. Coconut sugar or raw honey


3/4 C. shredded coconut. (not sweetened)
1 C. No dairy/no soy butter or coconut oil

1/2 t. pumpkin spice
1 can organic pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
2/3
cup coconut sugar or honey
1/2 can coconut milk or 1/2 C. milk substitute 
4 Tablespoons GF flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 c. applesauce

Non dairy/non soy Whipped cream, if desired, or non dairy/non soy ice cream.


  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spread 1/2 the apple slices over bottom of 9x12 glass baking dish. Place apples in oven while you mix up the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, toss 1 1/2 C flour, the Coconut sugar, 3/4 C. shredded coconut, 1/2 C. butter and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice until crumbly. Set aside.
  3. In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients. Spread over apples. Place remaining apples on top of pumpkin mix.  Pour remaining butter over top.  Sprinkle with flour mixture. Bake 30 min. or until golden brown and . Cool before serving. Serve warm with coconut whip cream or coconut ice cream.
Makes 16 servings
 

No comments:

Comments

If your family likes these recipes too, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT. or even if you've just got something to say :)